Re: [poke] RFS: xinetd

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 10:49:40AM +0200, Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
> Greetings

Greets!

> could someone sponsor this upload to experimental? So at least i would become
> responsible for the package and receive emails for bugs.
>
> http://galileo.dmi.unict.it/~ltworf/xinetd/

As a xinetd (sometimes) user, I'm interested in it's fate. Thanks for
wanting to help take over a less-glamorous package, for the betterment
of Debian!

> Thanks
> --
> Salvo Tomaselli

In your changelog, I'd add a ~exp1 or so to the version string. The
version you have now is perfect for unstable, but we're not going there
:)

Usually, in the changelog, you should mention, well, changes made --
Rater then something like:

  * Correct typo in README.Debian (Closes: 611637)
  * Defaults to rsyslog (Closes: #526923)

I'd prefer something like:

  * Changed the typo "for" -> "foo" in README.Debian (...)
  * I changed the default logger in $FILE from blerg to rsyslogd (...)

The idea is I should be able to get back to where you were before.

Usually I prefer lines not going over 80 chars in the debian/rules (see:
line 7) - you can wrap lines with a backslash (\)

The line:
     debhelper (>> 9.0.0)

should be changed to something like:

     debhelper (>= 9)

See jwilk's (small) rant on this subject[1].

In your xinetd.d/* files, you've got a mess of spaces (spaces all the
way to 80 chars) over all your curly braces

You should consider adding a watch file :)

You should also consider DEP3 headers on 000007-CVE-2012-0862.patch

Lintian complaints:

  usr/sbin/xconv.pl  <-- does this need to have the .pl extention for
                         legacy issues?

  etc/init.d/xinetd  <-- You should add LSB headers

  usr/share/man/man5/xinetd.conf.5.gz <-- mispelling: avaliable available

  You've also got a ton of FSSTND-dir-in-manual-page tags being emited,
  the manpage might nice to fix :)

  You've also got a possible-documentation-but-no-doc-base-registration
  -- it might be seeing the debian/xinetd.org-FAQ.html being put in.
  It'd be nice to register this with doc-base, but it's not the end of
  the world.

  (you should try running Lintian (with something like -IE --pedantic)
  on the .changes *after* a build as well ;) )

This diff is, well, massive, so it's going to take some time to look
over. Looks like some files are getting thrown around. I'll have to
review that in detail, but today, i've got a lot of work stuff.

Q'plah, (and thanks again),
  Paul

[1]: http://jwilk.net/blog/20120710-debhelper-build-dependencies

--