Re: RFS: xinetd

On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 12:09:51AM +0200, Salvo Tomaselli wrote:

> > There's always the option of using experimental; you can then
> > put it into unstable once we've released wheezy.
>
> well an upload to sid would just stay in sid right? No implications with the
> upcoming release...

It complicates two things:
1) migration to testing of other packages.  If other packages with
   versioned depends on your package get uploaded, xinetd will block
   their migration (since it won't be migrated)
2) if you need to update the xinetd in testing, you'll be forced to
   upload to testing-proposed-updates rather than unstable, and it'll
   complicate versioning and potentially managing a separate VCS
   branch

Neither of these are showstoppers, but add extra complexity.

> That way i would receive bugreports in case something is wrong. Guess not
> that many people use experimental.

You will still get bugreports for experimental. If you need testing,
then users who wish to use the latest xinetd can get it if they wish.
But at the moment, work on Debian isn't aimed at packaging the latest
and greatest--we're frozen--so the focus is on testing and fixing
what we have to make it releasable.  So experimental is a fine place
for new package versions until the freeze ends.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh