Re: Correct way to copy files to /home/$user?

On 2012-07-25 15:21:51 +0000 (+0000), adrelanos wrote:
> I want to create a new package xchat-privacy. Actually no binary files
> need to be installed/replaced. Only a few configuration files have to be
> replaced, such as ~/xchat2/xchat.conf, ~/xchat2/ignore.conf, etc.
>
> What is the correct way to copy files to /home/$user?

You probably want to work with xchat upstream and the current xchat
package maintainer in Debian to get those extra configuration files
distributed as part of the application (maybe installed at
/usr/share/doc/xchat/examples or a similar path). Couple this with
additions to xchat's documentation to direct users to copy those
files to their homedirs if desired, or maybe additional CLI flags to
cause xchat to source them from a separate location in /etc instead.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); WWW(http://fungi.yuggoth.org/); PGP(43495829);
WHOIS(STANL3-ARIN); SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); FINGER(fungi@yuggoth.org);