Re: dpkg-buildpackage and debhelper: removed debian/tmp

Hello,

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012, Michael Gissing wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not sure whether that's the suitable mailing list, so if theres
> a better one I would really appreciate a hint.

The correct list is debian-mentors@lists.debian.org. debian-dpkg is to
discuss the development of dpkg itself.

(Keeping lots of context for debian-mentors)

> I'm trying to build a package using dpkg-buildpackage and debhelper.
[...]
> dh binary
>    dh_testroot
>    dh_prep
> 	rm -f debian/mypackage.substvars
> 	rm -f debian/mypackage.*.debhelper
> 	rm -rf debian/mypackage/
> 	rm -rf debian/tmp
>    dh_installdirs
> 	install -d debian/mypackage
> 	install -d debian/mypackage/usr/bin
> debian/mypackage/var/mypackage/nv debian/mypackage/var/log/mypackage
>    dh_auto_install
>    dh_install
> 	cp -a debian/tmp/bin/mybin debian/mypackage/usr/bin/
> cp: cannot stat `debian/tmp/bin/mybin': No such file or directory
> -----
>
> It's obvious that dh_install can't find the file in debian/tmp
> because dh_prep just removed the dir three steps before. That's
> somehow strange, since dh_install will look for files in debian/tmp
> per default.
>
> Do I miss something? Why does dh_prep remove a dir that dh_install
> will use per default?

dh_auto_install should populate debian/tmp/ for you. And this one appears
after dh_prep. So your real problem is likely that dh_auto_install is not
doing anything useful currently.

(If your source package has a single binary package, then debian/tmp is
not used, the files are directly installed in debian/<pkg>, so the above
remark assumes that you have a source package with multiple binaries)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/