Re: Updating Mawk in Debian

Hi Yann,

yannubuntu@gmail.com wrote:

> any news about updating Mawk with the last upstream version?

I don't think it can happen and be properly tested in time for wheezy.
The new upstream version has significant changes relative to the
packaged version and probably introduces some (minor or not)
regressions.  (For example, the -W i option didn't work in Turkic
locales the last time I checked, because toupper('i') is not 'I'.)

What would be very helpful is code review.  For example, collect
a batch of twenty or so patches (e.g., changes up to 1.3.3-20090705)
from [1] or straight from Thomas.  File a bug that lists the patches,
their purpose, potential regressions, and how that potential can be
mitigated.  Then I would be happy to help get those patches applied
in experimental.

Another way to help is to get the code history up to the present in a
readable state, to help that same effort.  That basically means:

 * improve the "rcs fast-export" tool[2].  All improvements are good. :)
   Packaging it for Debian would be great because then we get a
   bugtracker.  If you can get the raw RCS files to test changes, that
   might make this task easier.

 * collect more changes (in RCS or git bundle form) and let me know
   so I can update [1] to include the updated code.

Testing is of course also welcome.

Hope that helps,
Jonathan

[1] http://git.debian.org/?p=users/jrnieder-guest/mawk-historical.git