What is the best way for disabling a service from another package ?

Dear all,

I am porting to Debian a package that uses dpkg-divert in its maintainer
scripts to disable a service provided by another package, by moving out the
other package's upstart script.

I can keep the commands as they are, since the target package does not exist in
Debian, but this made me curious how to actually do these kind of operations,
when package A must in a way modify package B's starting behavior or
configuration.

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy