Re: removing untracked files created by previous version

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Ryan Tandy wrote:

> To sum up: any system that has had version 3.4-1 of micro-evtd
> installed is likely to contain a status file in /usr/sbin that dpkg
> doesn't know about, and I'm not sure what the best way to resolve this
> is.

Sounds like a serious bug.

> The micro-evtd 3.4-2 package currently available on m.d.n, in its
> postinst, unconditionally removes the generated file, if it finds it.
> Before releasing this update I will ensure that the removal only
> happens when upgrading from 3.4-1.  Is this safe to do?  Are there
> other safety measures that I should consider, or is this something I
> should just notify the administrator about and let them deal with?

Does the file contain historical data or any data the sysadmin might
want to keep? If so I would suggest moving the file to its new
location (presumably under /var/lib) instead. If not your plan sounds
fine.

--
bye,
pabs