git-buildpackage and repacking upstream

ftpmasters have asked me to repackage the simpleid upstream tarball as per
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-origtargz

However, I already have it in git-buildpackage, and the instructions
tell me I should have repackaged before running git-import-src the first
time
http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/notes/debian/git.html#debian (under
Repository Layout)

Does this mean I need to start all over again with a fresh
git-buildpackage git repository for my project?

Or is there some other way around it?

Also, how should tags be named in this case?  Currently I have
debian/0.8.1-9
upstream/0.8.1

but should I now use tags with dfsg in the tag name for the repackaged
upstream?

Furthermore, git-buildpackage appears to have open bugs with repackaged
upstream tarballs: