Some questions related to signing

A few humble questions related to packaging signing:

* I make binary deb packages available for my projects from my Web site,
but I also wanted to make the deb source files available, so that people
can wrap their own binary debs for other architectures. I know that they
need the *.orig.tar.gz file, the *.dsc file, and the *.debian.tar.gz
file. However, what are the relevance of the *.changes files?

* I haven't been signing the source files, because my code signing keys
are on a separate system, which happens to be a non-debian system. I
understand that the "debsign" program is for this purpose. Is debsign
it's own project, or is it part of some other package? (So I can
download it to my non-debian system.) Also, relating to the previous
question: do I need debsign (for adjusting the changes files as well) or
is it enough to run some gpg signing command on the .dsc file?

--
frigidcode.com
indicium.us