Re: Debian packaging diagrams (was: Finding a mentor)

On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 09:15:20AM +1000, Aníbal Monsalve Salazar wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 02:26:30AM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:

> >>These diagrams are great! Kevin, how did you make them?
> >
> >Uh, the 2nd one is with Dia, source available.
> >I might have the source for the 1st which might be in Inkscape.
> >
> >I made them with much reading and many queries because I wanted to
> >'figure out how Debian worked'. And I like diagrams more than most
> >folks.
>
> [ Moving this message to the mentors list]
>
> Can I have both sources, steps to produce the diagrams and their
> licences, please?

http://mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/
that is where the diagrams live. The "curent debian diagram" is the one that
has the Dia 'source' file. So I used Dia to produce it. Learning to use Dia,
that is left as an exercise to the reader.

I did have it translated by the help of various people and that was made
possible by the fact that the dia format is a gziped text file. So you need to:
gunzip the file
open the file in a text editor
replace English with $lang
gzip the file
open in Dia and make adjustments

The other diagram about Debian Packages, I need to find the SVG file. But its
much less complex to make.

I was asked about the license, and I guess CC-BY would be what I would use.

--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux ==.| http://kevix.myopenid.com......|
| : :' :     The Universal OS....| mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/.|

Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone.