Re: How to handle embedded javascript/php libraries in WebApps

Hi Russ,

On 23:09 Sat 31 Mar     , Russ Allbery wrote:
<snipped>
> It's unfortunately fairly common to have to override the Lintian warnings
> about this, because using heavily modified versions of these libraries in
> webapps seems rather common.

Thanks I'll proceed with lintian overrides.

>It would be nice if upstreams would try
> harder to stick with the standard versions so that they can get the
> benefit of bug fixes and security fixes, but there are usually serious API
> stability problems with a lot of those libraries, combined with a
> Java-style mindset of shipping known-good versions of everything rather
> than looser coupling.

Most of the PHP libraries used in friendica are not very popular one
and authors of those published them just like posts with not much
active development after that. So Mike main author of the friendica
modified them to suit his needs on friendica. If upstream where really
active I assume Mike would have provided them patch instead shipping
those with friendica source.

TinyMCE modifications are specific to friendica like BB code related
stuffs and mention autocompletion they may not be suitable for
upstream hence again TinyMCE modified source is shipped with friendica.

> (From time to time, it feels like C is the only widely-used programming
> language that's ever gotten ABI stability and loose coupling right; even
> Java, which provides a lot of tools to try to get it right, doesn't offer
> a good ABI versioning system, so if you do have to change the ABI, there
> isn't a good way of handling the transition.)

Agreed on this

Best Regards
--
Vasudev Kamath