How to provide a helper script to be sourced by maintainer scripts

Hi,

I have a couple of shell functions that I use in a specific package's
maintainer scripts. I'd like put all of them into one file, then to be
sourced by the maintainer scripts. Obviously, that file would have to be
available when any of the maintainer scripts is executed.

Are there any provisions in package building and package management for
such a maintainer helper script?

Putting the shell script into a separate package that my package
predepends on does not seem to be a good idea to me. Sounds like
overkill. Plus, I'm not even sure its still available when my package's
postrm executes.

Thanks,
Malte