Re: upstream source is a source rpm!

Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> writes:

> Paul,
>
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 6:50 AM, Paul Elliott
> <pelliott@blackpatchpanel.com> wrote:
>> I can unpack this thingy with:
>> rpm2cpio source.rpm | cpio -i
>>
>> But I have questions:
>>
>> Assuming I have the url of the source rpm, how would one write the watch file
>> and get-orig-source: in rules to create a proper .ds tarball?
>
> watch file should be easy to write: this is just a regex and it should
> not care about the file extension. What you need to do is something
> like this:
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/pkg-java/trunk/fop/debian/watch?view=markup
>
> See how watch files are flexible ? Just provide an orig-tar.sh script
> yourself (using rpm2cpio for example)
>
>> Do I need to put rpm2cpio and cpio in Build-depends: ? Do I need to note this
>> dependancy anywhere?
>
> No. You should repack the source using .xy, .gz, .bz2 only in your
> orig-tar.sh script. Make sure to exit with an error in orig-tar.sh
> when rpmcpio is not present, and you should be ready to roll.

I always hate when you patch a source or update the upstream part and
suddenly things break because some tools are missing.

I know they don't fall under Build-Depends and buildds should not need
to install them. But maybe there could be a new Build-Depends-Extras
field for things like this?

MfG
        Goswin