Re: What happens when an architecture independent package won't build on all architectures?

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 3:36 AM, Paul Elliott wrote:

> When that plan goes into place, will the Architecture: all be built under all
> the different architectures? I have a package that fails to build under some
> archetectures, because of the heavy duty dependancies necessary to build an
> Architecture: all  package. I am trying to figure out if it would be a good
> idea to split that source package in two.

Splitting source packages is generally something to talk to upstream
about rather than something that should be done in Debian.

I'm not involved in the buildd stuff, but AFAICT we do not build
Architecture: any packages on all of the buildds for a particular
architecture (because that would be a waste of CPU, disk, network
resources). So I very much doubt we will be building Architecture: all
packages on all available buildds, I guess they will be built on the
first available buildd that matches the requirements
(Build-Depends{,-Indep}, Build-Architecture, etc).

Build-Depends-Indep is definitely not a kludge, thats the standard
Debian interface for building arch-independent stuff only.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise