Re: optional package in Build-Depends (how?)

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 01:42:28PM +1100, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> Indeed it probably could be written as
>
>     Build-Depends: libgpm-dev [linux-any]
>
> But the obvious drawback would be the requirement to know all architectures
> where this package is available.
> In this case Build-Depends configuration will be ineffective against changes.
That's the problem I have with mudlet.
          libluajit-5.1-dev [amd64 armel i386 kfreebsd-i386],
          liblua5.1-0-dev [!amd64 !armel !i386 !kfreebsd-i386],

It's not pretty and basically means if other arches come along and
support libluajit I have to manually fix it.  I don't think I could use
"or" | because it didn't work on some build systems.

A "or nothing" would be handy but I always get worried that you will
miss linking because of a transistional "bump" then the program
behaviour changes.

Imagine if on the armel libluajit is not available temporarily. I think
its better to fail to build than to issue out a package without that
linking.

Specifically to your testing, valgrind testing should probably be
opportunistic, so test if valgrind is available and don't otherwise. I
think dejagnu does it that way.

 - Craig

--
Craig Small VK2XLZ   http://enc.com.au/          csmall at : enc.com.au