Re: How to convince maintainer to use --as-needed?

* Dmitry Smirnov <onlyjob@member.fsf.org> [120210 07:18]:
> Because in their eyes I have neither expertise nor reputation I couldn't
> convince them that benefits are outweight risks. (--as-needed removes dozen of
> packages from Depends)
>
> I've been asked to provide a document or a quote from reputable DD regarding
> using --as-needed as recommended practice in Debian, if such.

I personally strongly recommend against using --as-needed unless you
understand very well what it does. It may change the runtime behaviour of a
program without any signs at link time.

Unless you are entangled in libraries ignoring usual best practises and
ignoring library borders in their headers (libglib, libboost), there
might be better solutions than --as-needed.

That is not to say there might not be cases where --as-needed is the
best solution, but it is definitely not something one should apply
blindly.

        Bernhard R. Link