Re: How to tell users that ia32-libs will go away

(replying on -mentors)
Hi Goswin,

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> Having multiarch packages and ia32-libs installed will lead to some
> confusion. The runtime linker will not be able to differentiate between
> multiarch or ia32-libs libs. One of /usr/lib32/ and
> /usr/lib/i486-linux-gnu/ will be first in the search path and libs will
> be taken from there preferably.

The multiarch dirs come before the biarch dirs.  See glibc-package
r4683 for details (prefix biarch-compat.conf with zz_ so that is is
sorted last, 2011-05-24).

[...]
> Are there any objections to adding a debconf message to ia32-libs with a
> short message and reference to a Debian wiki page on how to transition
> to multiarch?

Yes, as devref explains, that is debconf abuse.  Please use
NEWS.Debian.gz and README.Debian instead.

[..]
> 4) Should we have some Breaks/Conflicts between multiarch and bi-arch
> packages?

No, I don't see why.

Thanks for your work and hope that helps,
Jonathan