Re: Flash in debian

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 08:24, The Fungi <fungi@yuggoth.org> wrote:
> On 2012-01-28 17:14:46 +0100 (+0100), Christian Welzel wrote:
> [...]
> > flex-sdk is licensed unter MPL 1.1
> [...]
>
> It's actually the above assertion which is in question and in the
> process of being verified, based on my reading.
>
> > The problem is, that the MPL-licensed flex-sdk is not (yet) packaged
> > for debian
> [...]
>
> And it appears the submitter of that ITP is in contact with Adobe as
> of a few weeks ago to hopefully resolve contradictory licensing
> statements. IF flex-sdk does turn out to be MPL as suggested, then
> your package might be suitable for contrib until such time as
> flex-sdk enters main. It would probably make more sense to just wait
> and see how that discussion with Adobe plays out first though.

The people from Adobe never gave me a solid answer.  I was told
"probably, most likely we made a mistake in the license file, which
we've done in the past, but let me get back to you."  Then they turned
the whole project over to Apache.

The issue was also two-fold.  Not only was the wrong license file in
the binary distribution, but the binaries can't be built from source
on Debian.  I would LOVE to be proven wrong, but I suspect that it's
not going to be feasible to build a flex-sdk binary from source until
after Apache is done absorbing the project and cleaning it up.  As it
stood from Adobe, you had to get the source from SVN, but it was full
of 1) binaries, 2) forked versions of standard Java libs, and 3)
outdated versions of standard Java libs.  All of these things were
required in some mix to get the thing to build, and all of them are
problematic.  Adobe builds their binaries in a very specific cygwin
environment, from what I've been able to discern.

So I've given up on my contact at Adobe, who has rarely ever replied
to me at all, and never with more than a few vague words.  I'm waiting
on Apache to clean up the project to where we can finally build it in
a sane way in Debian.

I had a version of the flex-sdk package that was not built from
source, but just used Adobe's binaries and put them all in a path that
lintian didn't like.  It's the only way I was able to get any success
with the thing in it's Adobe-provided state.  Nobody would sponsor it.

--Joey