Re: RFS: watermelons

(Sorry for the late reply! :P)

* Stephen M. Webb <stephen.webb@bregmasoft.ca>, 2011-09-16, 10:47:
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/w/watermelons/watermelons_1.1.1-1.dsc

The Larabie font is non-free. You have the following choices:
1) Document this fact in debian/copyright and move the package to non-free. 2) Remove the font from the source package and move the binary package to contrib (the source package can remain in main). 3) Remove the font from the source package and use a different font at runtime.

How do you know that the package is GPL-2+ licensed? I didn't see any explicit license grant in the source code. Please see:

Each option has its pros and cons, so I leave the decision up to you.

Please merge changelog entries for -1 and -2.

python is needed for the clean target, so it should go to Build-Depends, not Build-Depends-Indep.

You build-depend on python-support, but you don't use it. On the other hand, if you use dh_python2, you need to bump versioned dependency on python to >= 2.6.6-3~.

Add ${python:Depends} to Depends (and then you can remove explicit "python").

The watch file is slightly broken (uscan reports that version on upstream site is an empty string), but I don't know it there's much we can do about this.

Lintian emits:
W: watermelons: binary-without-manpage usr/games/watermelons

The game crashes when trying to save highscore:
| Traceback (most recent call last):
|   File "melons.py", line 1, in <module>
|     import main
|   File "/usr/share/pyshared/watermelon/main.py", line 56, in <module>
|     g.run(menu.Menu(g))
|   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pgu/engine.py", line 104, in run
|     self.loop()
|   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pgu/engine.py", line 123, in loop
|     if self.fnc('event',e): return
|   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pgu/engine.py", line 79, in fnc
|     if v != None: r = f(v)
|   File "/usr/share/pyshared/watermelon/menu.py", line 329, in event
|     self.high.save()
|   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pgu/high.py", line 52, in save
|     self.highs.save()
|   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pgu/high.py", line 145, in save
|     f = open(self.fname,"w")
| IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'melons.hs'

/usr/share/pyshared/ is an implementation detail of Python helpers. You shouldn't really rely on it existence, like you do in the /usr/games/watermelons. (But see below.)

Since watermelons' Python modules are obviously not meant to be used by other software, please don't install them as public modules. Install them to a private directory, e.g. /usr/share/games/watermelons/.

If you made melons.py executable, /usr/games/melons could be just a symlink to it, no need for a shell wrapper script.

--
Jakub Wilk