Re: RFS: tk-table

[I am not a DD, a DM, an experienced packager of any sort, or able to
provide any review of this package at all.  I'm just following the
debian-mentors list.  -- J]

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Ole Streicher
<debian-devel@liska.ath.cx> wrote:

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "tk-table".
>
>  * Package name    : tk-table
>   Version         : 2.10-1
>   Upstream Author : Jeffrey Hobbs <jeff@hobbs.org>
>  * URL             : http://tktable.sourceforge.net
>  * License         : BSD
>   Section         : interpreters
>
> It builds those binary packages:
>
> tk-table   - Table extension for Tcl/Tk
>
> This is a kind of adoption of the package "tktable2.9" (binary package
> "libtktable2.9") which was orphaned since 2008 and removed from unstable
> in Feb 2011. See <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=465957>.
>
> It is needed in order to bring the astronomical package "saods9" back
> into Debian (ITP: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=655648).
>
> I put tk-table under the maintenance of Debian-Science. I would be glad
> if someone uploaded this package for me. I would also very appreciate a
> review without an upload since I am not familar with tcl/tk and
> therefore I am unsure about whether the package fits into the Debian
> tcl/tk subsystem.

I would suggest that a more obvious and natural fit for a maintenance
home for this package would be:

   Debian Tcl/Tk Packagers - mailto:pkg-tcltk-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org

   QA Page - http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=pkg-tcltk-devel%40lists.alioth.debian.org

   Mail Archive - http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-tcltk-devel/

Just from the short description, it sounds to me like tk-table is more
of a general purpose and utility sort of Tk package, and not something
of interest uniquely to someone doing science type work; just from
their name, Debian Tcl/Tk Packagers sound like the sort of group
interested in general purpose and utility Tk packages.

Also, the Tcl/Tk Packagers would be the obvious source of information
on how to fit this package into the already existing Tcl/Tk ecosystem
within Debian.  (They might even have a language-specific policy and
packaging guide; I haven't looked.)

FWIW, I found this by searching the Debian package archive
(http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages) for package names including
"tk", and seeing who the maintainers of those packages were, in case
you wanted to know how I found this.  I had not previously known about
this group within Debian.

Thanks for your time.  Hope this is of some use, interest.  Good luck
with getting this package and the one depending on it into Debian.  Be
well.

Joseph