Re: RFR: chromaprint (Adoption)

* Simon Chopin <chopin.simon@gmail.com>, 2012-01-09, 13:38:
As a side note, for extra safety it'd be good to make sure that if ever these symbols are used, the generated dependency is either unsatisfiable or strictly versioned. Unfortunately, the latter option is currently a bit difficult to implement; see bug #615940.

I don't understand how I could generate an unsatisfiable dependency: if I write an enormous version, it just gets overwritten:

- (regex|optional)"^_ZN?St.*@Base$" 99
+ (regex|optional)"^_ZN?St.*@Base$" 0.6-1

Note that it would solve the "strictly versioned" bit, at the cost of a systematic lintian error. A bit too ugly for my taste.

The dependency generated by dpkg-shlibdeps doesn't necessarily be in the "<library-name> (>= <version>)" format.

In fact, by "strictly versioned" I meant "(= <current-version>)" not "(>= <current-version>)".

You could take a look at these packages:
- libvigaimpex3 ("strict" approach),
- libdrm-radeon1 ("unsatisfiable" approach).
--
Jakub Wilk