Re: dbconfig-common; repacking source

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Christian Welzel wrote:

>> I wonder if adding a localconf.d directory and dropping a file in
>> there is a better way of providing Debian-specific configs.
>
> Hm. What exactly could this look like? I currently have no idea.

Create these dirs:

/etc/typo3/conf.d/
/usr/share/typo3/conf.d/

Ship the Debian-specific defaults in here:

/usr/share/typo3/conf.d/50-debian.php

The configuration loading code would check both directories and load
all of the configuration files from both, with the /etc ones
overriding the /usr ones.

I did something similar in clamav-unofficial-sigs, but that is shell
instead of PHP.

> The comments say: "The pcntl_exec() function works exactly like the
> standard (unix-style) exec() function.  It differs from the regular PHP
> exec() function in that the process calling the pcntl_exec() is
> replaced with the process that gets called."
> I don't know, if a switch to this method is that simple, as it would
> require to fork() before executing.

Yeah, it probably would be simpler to switch to php5-imagick than to
switch to a sane version of exec().

>> The package unilaterally takes over /cms on any non-typo3 domains also
>> hosted by the machine. This is bad if some user is using another CMS
>> at that URL.
>

> The problem here is, that /typo3 is already used by typo3 for its
> backend and would result in "/typo3/typo3" to login. There were several
> people who were confused by this. But i'm open for suggestions.

In my opinion the way web things would ideally work in Debian is that
upstream ship a command to setup a site (say typo3-new-site), which is
passed some parameters (domain name, url path, storage folders,
databases etc), generates recommended, secure configuration that
doesn't affect any other sites and does the initial
database/filesystem setup needed. The Debian package would then ask
the sysadmin via debconf prompts if they would like to setup a site
and if so, for the parameters to the script and then run the script in
the postinst.

>> Having a default password is a bad idea.
>
> This is standard behaviour of typo3.

Ick. One of the reasons Debian exists is to improve situations like this.

>> There are a metric buttload of embedded code copies still:
>
> Unfortunately none of these projects exist as debian package (or at
> least under a name i could find). I do not have the manpower to package
> these as own packages, but filed wnpp bugs for them.

You might want to team up with the JavaScript and PHP teams:

http://wiki.debian.org/Javascript
http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-php

These folks would probably be willing to help you out with packaging
the embedded code copies, especially if you are willing to help
maintain some packages.

--
bye,
pabs