Re: RFS: python-poster

Hi Emilien,

On 09.12.2011 16:22, Emilien Klein wrote:
> If I understand it correctly none of the changes I've made are
> acceptable for an NMU. That's fine by me, as l'm just trying to get a
> newer version that is free of the bug due to which I have to duplicate
> code. If fixing part of the Lintian warnings are not fit for a NMU,
> I'll gladly not do it ;)

for the sake of completeness it shall be noted, those changes _are_
acceptable, if you actually joining a packaging group with the original
maintainer.

You two may agree on specific best-practices (e.g. packaging format,
style and so on), but given he does not oppose anything you did (see,
some people have a strong opinion on things like DEP-5 and such - just
as an example) with him such changes would be fine.

The bottom line is: As a maintainer such changes are fine, in a
minimal-invasive NMU not.

> I'm not fundamentally against taking over maintenance of the package,
> but I'm still very new to Debian packaging (not a DM or DD). Would
> that be a problem?

It is perfectly fine to (co-) maintain packages in Debian without any
further permissions or roles. Most if not all of us started that way.
Note, you can't upload packages to Debian in such cases - you need a
sponsor, being it a team member or a person you find on this mailing list.

Albeit you have some limitations you have all rights, permissions and
obligations as every other maintainer has. In particular your name is
preserved, your work is honored, and, well, you are blamed for your
mistakes and receive bug reports.

> Also, how is the "taking over maintenance" part done in a diplomatic
> way with regards to the current maintainer?

In your case the best thing would probably be to ask the maintainer
whether he is interested to form a packaging team with you. As soon as
he agrees, that's about it. Maybe he asks you to join a packaging team
on Alioth (e.g. collab-maint, the Python team) and adds you to the
Uploaders in debian/control sooner or later.

Everything else, including fixing bugs, sharing workload and so on
depends on your mutual agreement.

- --
with kind regards,
Arno Töll