Re: RFS: git2cl

On Saturday 03 December 2011 15:58:21 Paul Wise wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:

> > Thanks for handy advice. It may be nice to use tags for versioning,

> > but I'd like to keep translated-to-date version because it is

> > human-readable and meaningful.

> > "2.0" doesn't say much and I'm not sure what to do if minor update to

> > upstream repository will not be tagged.

> > Shall we keep version with date please?

> > Of course I'll change it as advised if you insist.

> All version numbers are meaningless, I just find it a bit strange to

> use a different version number to what upstream uses. Using git

> describe will give you the closest to what upstream uses.

> You are the maintainer of the package though, so the version number is

> your decision. Should I upload as-is or do you want to switch it to

> the upstream version number?

Please upload as is.

Current version number combine upstream tag and the date of upstream commit (which I think is not too difficult to notice) so it is immediately visible when upstream was active last time.

Having said this, I admit the elegance of what you suggested so I might be using tag-based versioning for some other packages.

Cheers,

Dmitry.