Re: RFS: Sponsor needed for pmwiki

On Thursday, August 11, 2011 08:15:24 PM, Robert Strobl wrote:
> Hi, I implemented your feedback. The updated version
> now concerns PmWiki's current upstream stable release 2.2.29.
>
> Please find the package files at: http://share.gloriabyte.de/pmwiki/
>
> Best regards,
> Robert

Greetings, Robert.

I'd like to touch base with you concerning your Pmwiki package, and I have a
couple of suggestions.  I've been running PmWiki for at least 5 years or so
and have been wishing for a Pmwiki package in Debian, so I'm glad to see
another effort towards getting it into Debian, so your work towards this is
appreciated.

Right now it appears as though you're changing the group ownership of most of
the pmwiki related files to being owned and writable by www-data.  I have a
suggestion whereby neither of these is necessary; PmWiki includes the ability
to be set up as a WikiFarm[1] whereby the same installation can be used for
setting up any number of wikis.  Using this method, the web server does not
need to be able to write to any of the pmwiki files at all, since the wiki
location where web pages will be stored will differ from the pmwiki
installation, so they could be owned by root:root and would only need to be
readable by the www-data user.

This would involve adding one file, local/farmconfig.php, which would act as
the "default" config.php that wikis would use, until overridden by another
local/config.php file in the actual wiki page storage location.  [You could
theoretically have debconf prompt the user for setting a default password to
use in the farmconfig.php file if you wanted to, but I'm not sure it's
required.]

   [1]  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/WikiFarms

One thing I note in my setup is that I have not set the $FarmPubDirUrl
variable at all, which seems to be suggested in the page above under the
"Create the home wiki" section, so I don't think that's necessary.  I believe
this is done to allow using the original PmWiki location as a wiki, and all
the other wikis as a "wikifarm", but what I've done is simply to set up every
wiki as a "wikifarm" and leave the original PmWiki location unwritable by the
web server.  :-)  That works fine.

Adding a new wiki as a WikiFarm would need to be explained in a README, or
could possibly be scripted, but might need to be run as root if you want to
have the "local" wiki.d directory group owned and writable by www-data.  I'm
willing to help document that and help write the script and man page, along
with example setup files, if you wish.

Just let me know what I can help you with.
Thanks.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle