Re: I need help to solve lintian messages about NMU and linking with openssl

On 2011-08-18 08:24, Carsten Ringe wrote:
> Dear debian-mentors,

Hi

> I'm trying to build a package for s3fs. The package was originally
> built by Loïc Minier and I started with his files in the debian
> directory.
>
> But there are some lintian messages that I'm trying to solve now. This
> is my very first debian package and I don't really know how to fix
> this issues:
>
> E: s3fs_1.40-2_amd64 changes: bad-distribution-in-changes-file NMU

You usually "unstable" as distribution.  To mention an NMU
(Non-Maintainer Upload) the first entry in the changelog should mention
"NMU".  Though if you are the new maintainer, this is not what you want.

> W: s3fs source: changelog-should-mention-nmu
> W: s3fs source: source-nmu-has-incorrect-version-number 1.40-2

These are triggered if the name and email in the changelog is not
byte-for-byte identical with an Uploader or the Maintainer in d/control.
  If you are doing a NMU, the version should be 1.40-1.1 (or 1.40-2.1,
depending on the last uploaded version; I am guessing the former) and
(as mentioned above) the first entry in the changelog should mention an NMU.

> W: s3fs source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.9.1 (current is 3.9.2)

Valid, check the "upgrading checklist" and then update
Standards-Versions in d/control

> E: s3fs: possible-gpl-code-linked-with-openssl

This is triggered if your d/copyright mentions "GPL" and "openssl"
without having what looks like a "GPL with OpenSSL exception".  You may
have to add an override for this.

> I think the debian/changelog doesn't have the correct version number
> (and I'm not sure about NMU at all) and that's causing the WARNINGS.
>
> For the GPL ERROR: I build s3fs with gnutls instead of openssl, but I
> have no idea if that solves the issue with the openssl BSD license.
> Can someone please explain that to me or point me to a document about
> it?
>

> Carsten Ringe

In all cases, Lintian comes with a feature to tell you what the warnings
are about.  Either re-run lintian with "-i" or use "lintian-info -t $tag".

~Niels