Re: dh-autoreconf/autotools-dev questions

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 16:16:30 +0200,
Gergely Nagy <algernon@balabit.hu> wrote:
> Oohara Yuuma <oohara@libra.interq.or.jp> writes:
>
> > I am packaging a software which uses autoconf and automake.  I will
> > regenerate all autotool files with dh-autoreconf.
> > * The upstream tarball contains auto-generated files.  Do I have to
> >   save these files somewhere before calling dh_autoreconf and restore
> >   them in the clean target, or is it enough to remove auto-generated
> >   files in the clean target so that they are regenerated again
> >   in the build target?
>
> Just call dh_autoreconf, nothing else to do.
>
> It takes care of restoring the original state, whatever that may have
> been. When using dh_autoreconf, it will _always_ regenerate the
> appropriate files, so you don't need to prepare the tree for it.

* dh-autoreconf saves only the checksum of the files in the source
  tree, not their contents.  Files overwritten by autoreconf will
  be lost.
* dh-autoreconf checks only _normal_ files.  For example, it leaves
  an empty directory autom4te.cache.
In short, running ./debian/rules build && ./debian/rules clean does
modify the source tree.  I don't think this is a problem when
building the package because 3.0 (quilt) ignores removed files by default
and autom4te.cache is removed by dh_clean anyway, but is this a right way
to "undo any effects that the build and binary targets may have had"
(the definition of the clean target in the policy)?

--
Oohara Yuuma <oohara@libra.interq.or.jp>