Should dh_python2 be used for single-file python applications?

Hello!

I have a question about my package "retext".
Upstream tarball provides executable retext.py and wpgen.py files
which are currently dh_install'ed to /usr/bin/retext and
/usr/bin/wpgen.

- Should dh_python2 be used in this case (and how to use it)?
Dependencies auto-detect is not needed since most of the imports are
optional and are wrapped into "try-except-else" blocks.
- Should I install the python files somewhere to /usr/share/… and put
wrapper shell-scripts to /usr/bin? Should I byte-compile them into
.pyc or .pyo?
- Or should I better split python files to module and launcher (in
upstream tarball, since I'm also the upstream author)?

And one off-topic question: when Debian will provide Python 3 packages
for modules supporting it? Like python-qt4 (bug 558389) and
python-markdown?

--
Thanks for advance,
Dmitry Shachnev