Re: RFS: dbxml

Hi Daniel,

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 11:49:27AM +0200, Daniel de Kok wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Daniel de Kok <me@danieldk.eu> wrote:

> >> Thanks for the review. I've dropped my work on dbxml due to a change
> >> of jobs, but my former colleague Daniël de Kok (cc) has taken over.
> >> He's found that dbxml works fine with BDB 5.1, producing
> >> backward-compatible files. Greg Burd, formerly of Oracle, has
> >> confirmed that this should be the case in general
> >> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/157165/comments/20).
> >
> > I have uploaded dbxml_2.5.16-3 to mentors.debian.net:
> >
> > http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/d/dbxml/
> >
> > This version builds agains Berkeley DB 5.1. I have also converted the
> > package to a multi-arch package.
>
> If someone else is willing to sponsor this package, that would be
> great as well! I have two other packages in the pipeline that depend
> on dbxml ;).

Have you already verified that the Oracle License is actually DFSG-free? It
might help to convert debian/copyright to DEP-5 to see more easily which
files are affected. Is this license used by any packages in Debian already?

Your *.dsc was broken and couldn't check out with its signature btw..

Apart from that I only would prefer to have a -1 without a patch for the
initial upload so that I won't have to "repackage" your upload to make it
fit for putting into the archive.

Some more technical findings:

- Have you thought about adding a *.symbols file?

- libdbxml-dev doesn't need ${shlibs:Depends} btw. - it's arch all.

- Your source lacks a debian/watch. Please add one.

- You will need to repackage as DFSG-free at least due to
  dbxml/build_windows/ and db-4.8.26/docs/csharp,
  db-4.8.26/dist/winmsi/s_winmsi.fcn, db-4.8.26/docs_src/ref/install

  You may want to try suspicious-source from the ubuntu-dev-tools as a
  start. All binary files that are not built from source must be removed
  (unless they are a binary format that is ok with good reason - like a PDF
  or the *.DB sample file)

- Your Standards-Version should be bumped to 3.9.2 just for completeness

- Please add lintian override for
  W: dbxml source: package-needs-versioned-debhelper-build-depends 9

- Please add a doc-base registration of your API

- Your debian/copyright misses some licenses. There's at least missing:
  + PHP 2.0.2
  + BSD 4 clause
  + zlib/libpng
  + Public Domain
  + Artistic
  + GPL
  + Perl
  + BSD 2 clause
  + GPL-2

Once you have at least looked into these (and maybe found even more) send me
the updated package and I'll have another look and upload if it's ok.

--
Best regards,
Kilian