Re: Looking for mentor to package dolibarr erp/crm - ITP 634783

Hi Laurent,

thanks for your interest in putting packages to Debian. We all
appreciate your efforts, but ...

> Package provided is now a source package built with dpkg-source :
> DSC:            http://www.dolibarr.org/files/debian/dolibarr_3.1.0-1.1.dsc
> Source tgz: http://www.dolibarr.org/files/debian/dolibarr_3.1.0-1.1.tar.gz
> I still provide binary built with dpkg if needed (but should not):
> Binary:
> http://www.dolibarr.org/files/debian/dolibarr_3.1.0-dev_all.deb

sorry, your package does not look too good.

First, you clearly did not use the source package you uploaded to build
your binary. I am not entirely sure what you did, but the binary package
has nothing to do with the source package you linked. Your binary
contains debconf scripts and, well, it works, your source package does not.

Your source package fails to build from source. This is due to a severe
syntax error in your debian/rules file. It must contain tabs, not
spaces. However, even if you fix this, your package won't work because
you don't make use of any debhelper file (e.g. an install file) and you
neither do provide a Makefile in your upstream source, debhelper could use.

Moreover your dependencies in your control file look insane. Just one
random note for it: You clearly don't want to recommend "firefox". You
should have noted, there is no Firefox in Debian anymore, since more
than 5 years, and even if it were, there is no point to recommend it.
Same for your debian/changelog file.

Finally your upstream source shows a clear misunderstanding of what we
would accept to be packaged to a Debian package. I guess it might work
for your internal corporate use (or wherever you use your stuff), but
I'm afraid, we can't accept such a package for Debian. You abuse the
file hierarchy standard (you install configuration to /usr), you install
a lot of files you shouldn't install (especially not to a document root,
e.g. /usr/share/dolibarr/htdocs/install) and you are embedding libraries
(e.g. /usr/share/dolibarr/htdocs/includes/artichow/), documentation
(/usr/share/dolibarr/htdocs/install/mssql/README), language files and
who knows what else.

Please rethink, if your package is really ready to be publicized. You
show a fundamental misunderstanding how Debian packages work, and the
quality requirements the packages should meet. Please read the new
maintainer's guide [1], the Debian policy [2] and the Debian developer
reference [3].

Don't hesitate to ask this mailing list again, once your package is in a
better shape or if you don't understand something the documents I
referenced require from you (e.g. you have technical questions).

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/
[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
[3] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/index.html

- --