Re: RFS: Sponsor needed for pmwiki

On 07/13/2011 08:49 PM, Robert Strobl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just finished updating the package. Sorry for the delay!
> I hope that I could realize all your feedback as you wished :)
> Please find the updated version at: http://share.gloriabyte.de/pmwiki/
>
> Best regards,
> Robert

Thanks for this.

Here are my remarks.

* In your debian/patches folder, there's Makefile.patch and
debian-changes-2.2.27-1, please merge these 2 together in a unique patch.

* In debian/control, I can see:
Vcs-Svn: svn://pmwiki.org/pmwiki/tags/latest

This seems to be the upstream SVN repository. This field isn't for this,
it is for you to point at your Debian packaging repository (best would
be to host it on alioth.debian.org, opening an account there is free).

* In debian/copyright, please use the DEP5 format. This isn't a strong
requirement by Debian, but it is for me to sponsor the package. Please
see: http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/

* In your debian/postinst script, you are making the assumption that
there's already apache installed, and a group www-data that is created.
That might well not be the case, considering your dependencies. So, I
would suggest to either:
- check, using getent, if the www-data user/group already exist, and
eventually create that system user (if you use adduser to create the
user, don't forget to also depend on adduser)
- document this issue in a debian/README.Debian and don't do anything at
all in your postinst (the administrator can decide)
- chown the /var/lib/pmwiki folder so that it becomes world readable

* In your debian/postrm, you are deleting	/etc/pmwiki/, please don't do
that in the remove case, only in the purge one.

* Also, please setup a link like this: ln -s /usr/share/pmwiki/locale
/etc/pmwiki, so that configuration is made inside /etc/pmwiki and not in
/usr/share anymore.

* Please don't package docs/INSTALL.txt in the binary package of pmwiki,
because it doesn't fit Debian anymore. Best would be to write your own
DEBIAN.Readme to tell the administrator what to do to bring pmwiki up
and running on a Debian system and package that one instead.

* By the way, you have the following debhelper issue (shown by lintian):

W: pmwiki source: debhelper-but-no-misc-depends pmwiki

Please add ${misc:Depends} as dependency of pmwiki

* Please package a cookbook folder, so that it is possible to add
extensions in the future. Just an idea: it'd be great to have a pmwiki
plugin management system.

* On your debian/clontrol long description, you have:
 You can find more information on PmWiki on http://www.pmwiki.org.
This is redundant with the Homepage field, please remove it. It would by
the way be very cool if you could find a longer short Description:
field. My proposal:

customizable and light PHP-based wiki system using file based storage

Do you think this description fits pmWiki?

Let me know what you think of the above,
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand