Re: Git and tarballs

On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 14:19 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Wolodja Wentland <babilen@gmail.com> writes:

> > How stable is get-orig-source across releases?

> For a package where I was using a released tarball for the reasons described
> above, I would dispense with this target entirely and just use uscan to
> download the tarball (or acquire it some other way).

And certain helpers (jh_repack) can be added to the watch file or you
just work with the downloaded tarball in the get-orig-source.

Is get-orig-source called by anything or is it "merely" a nice target to
have so life is easier for other maintainers and oneself when preparing new
releases?

> > Why exactly is this needed when the tarball can be cut from upstream tags?
>
> Each time you regenerate the upstream tarball from the Git repository, it
> will change.  You have to store pristine-tar data for one specific
> generated tarball, or someone who has only the repository won't be able to
> recreate the tarball used in Debian packaging.

Ack, and it also has the added benefit that Debian is always able to
regenerate the tarball even if upstream and all its repositories/tarballs
disappeared completely.

Thanks Russ for your kind help and I can see much clearer now.
--
  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <babilen@gmail.com>
 : :'  :