Re: RFS: odvr

Hi Guillermo,

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 12:32 -0430, Guillermo Lengemann wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "odvr".
>
> * Package name    : odvr
>   Version         : 0.1.5-1
>   Upstream Author : Tristan Willy <tristan.willy@gmail.com>
> * URL             : http://code.google.com/p/odvr/
> * License         : GNU GPL v3
>   Section         : sound
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> odvr       - Support sound recorder Olympus VN models

> The upload would fix these bugs: 513271
>
> My motivation for maintaining this package is: use the application and i
> want learn package for Debian GNU/Linux.

> main contrib non-free
> - dget
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/o/odvr/odvr_0.1.5-1.dsc

Thank you for your work. Here are my comments:

1. Your debian/changelog has a badly formatted line above your
signature. Shows up highligted in vim syntax for example.

2. debian/compat is still at 7. Please use 8

3. Standards-Version is still at 3.9.1. Should be easy enough to bump
that to 3.9.2 which is current.

4. debian/odvr128x128.png copyright? Yours? Gimped that picture
yourself? If so, that'd be ok. If not, please mention. Eventually you
can talk upstream into including something directly though.

5. debian/patches/debian-changes-0.1.5-1 still contains template lines.
Please remove them and add when/where it was forwarded upstream.

-       install -D -o root -g root -m 755 odvr $(DESTDIR)/usr/bin
+       install -o root -g root -m 755 odvr $(DESTDIR)/usr/bin

I don't understand though. Why would you want to drop the -D here?

Changing your patch name into something more meaningful like
"destdir.patch" will get rid of this warning:
W: odvr source: format-3.0-but-debian-changes-patch

...which seems you've already done in
debian/patches/install-makefile.patch. So why is
debian/patches/debian-changes-0.1.5-1 needed anyway? And why do you
alter the "release" target when you don't use it?

And why do you patch out the "Ubuntu" when you could just extend that
line to include Debian. Obviously upstream would like the file
in /etc/udev/rules.d whereas you now ship it in /lib/udev/rules.d. This
is somewhat asking for problems communicating back and forth without any
obvious benefit I could see.

And just for the record:
debian/patches/fix-ico-desktop-create.patch and
debian/patches/fix-image-ico-create.patch are empty and not used anyway

6. debian/rules is still old-style. Please try to update to debhelper
version 7 style - it'll clean your rules significantly.

7. You add DESTDIR support in your patch. Yet your debian/rules does
use:
        $(MAKE) prefix=`pwd`/debian/`dh_listpackages` install
Why?

8. Unused dh_ lines in debian/rules can be deleted even in old-style

9. unused lines in debian/watch should be deleted as well. Apart from
that your debian/watch doesn't work. Running uscan gives:
-- In debian/watch, processing watchfile line:
   http://code.google.com/p/odvr/ odvr-(.*)\.tar\.gz
uscan warning: In debian/watch,
  no matching hrefs for watch line
  http://code.google.com/p/odvr/ odvr-(.*)\.tar\.gz
-- Scan finished

10. If you can convince upstream to look into the useless linking of
libs that'd be great. Though I know it's painful. ;-)

See the lines like:
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 could be
avoided if "debian/odvr/usr/bin/odvr-gui" were not uselessly linked
against it (they use none of its symbols).

in the build output.

11. Your source ships a binary blob:
P: odvr source: source-contains-prebuilt-binary odvr.x86

12. Your copyright is not DEP-5 format. Please insert the missing lines.

13. Your manpages seem to be not entirely clean:
I: odvr: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/odvr-gui.1.gz:27
I: odvr: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/odvr-gui.1.gz:28
I: odvr: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/odvr.1.gz:81
I: odvr: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/odvr.1.gz:82

Overall not bad for a first try. I guess the above should be easy to
fix. And then the upload should be piece of cake once this is addressed.

--
Cheers,
Kilian