Re: /usr/lib64 or /usr/lib

David Bremner <bremner@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 15:41:34 -0700, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> 9.1.1 point 2:
>>
>>     The requirement for amd64 to use /lib64 for 64 bit binaries is
>>     removed.
>
> Yeah, that is the point that confused me. For me, removing the
> requirement is not the same as forbidding.

Due to implementation issues (below) you MUST NOT ship any files in
/lib64 or /usr/lib64/ in the package.

>> Also note that /usr/lib64 is just a symlink to /usr/lib on Debian systems.
>>

> So that makes it a bit academic, at the moment.
>
> cheers,

Except for how dpkg behaves. If your package has a file in /usr/lib64/
and gets installed then dpkg records that that directory belongs to your
package. Then the next time libc6 gets updated dpkg will try to unpack
the /usr/lib64 symlink and fail because you can not replace a directory
of another package with a symlink. You have made it impossible to update
libc6.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: You can (and should if you have plugins) configure/build your
package to use /lib64 and /usr/lib64 as long as you ship it as /lib and
/usr/lib in the deb.
PPS: Using multiarch dirs would be even better for plugins.