Re: Avoiding useless library dependencies

Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> writes:

> I am trying to get rid of these warnings:

> dh_makeshlibs -a
> dh_shlibdeps -a
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libdl.so.2 could be avoided if "debian/python-llfuse/usr/lib/pyshared/python2.7/llfuse.so debian/python-llfuse/usr/lib/pyshared/python2.6/llfuse.so" were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on librt.so.1 could be avoided if "debian/python-llfuse/usr/lib/pyshared/python2.7/llfuse.so debian/python-llfuse/usr/lib/pyshared/python2.6/llfuse.so" were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).

This isn't directly helpful for what you're trying to do, but I think it's
worth noting that both of those libraries are part of libc and hence don't
cause any of the problems that led to Debian trying to get rid of
unnecessary dependencies.  Your package is already going to depend on
libc, so these dependencies can't add false package dependencies to the
binary package and hence really don't matter.

I personally would not bother trying to fix this if it's hard to fix,
since the only benefit is some minor cleanliness that users will never
notice.