Re: Workflow with debian/ in VCS

Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> writes:

> > Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> >> These two steps are what ‘${VCS}-buildpackage’ does. You don't have
> >> to have the build artefacts cluttering up your working tree; it
> >> does its work elsewhere.
>
> So if I'm using -buildpackage to do these two steps at once, how can I
> still do the intermediate step? Press Ctrl-Z at exactly the right time?
> ;-).

You make the changes to ‘debian/’ before running ‘${VCS}-buildpackage’.

> That would certainly work, but I was thinking about the more automated
> patch workflow with dquilt, which needs, AFAIU, to be run in the
> directory with upstream sources and will put the patches into ./debian/.
> So afterwards I will have to copy debian/ into the VCS.

I thought we'd established that the ‘debian/’ directory is in its own
VCS repository, tracked separately. This allows it to be tracked as a
distinct line of development from the upstream VCS, which is often the
case.

So I don't see why you think ‘debian/’ needs to keep being copied
around under this model. I never do that manually.

You do your packaging work in ‘debian/’ tracked in the “packaging ‘foo’
for Debian” repository; and you track the upstream source separately
(perhaps as a distinct VCS checkout, perhaps only by downloading
released tarballs); and you use ‘${VCS}-buildpackage’ to combine them
automatically whenever you want to build a Debian package.

--
 \      “An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be |
  `\                         made in a very narrow field.” —Niels Bohr |