Re: Shared library incompatibilty and versioned build-dependencies

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Matt Kraai <kraai@ftbfs.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to create a new package of The Unarchiver.

Thanks!

How are you building it? I took a look and gave up when I saw it has
no makefiles, only an Xcode project and the GNUStep pbxbuild (that
translates Xcode stuff to Makefiles) tool is not available in Debian
yet.

> When I build it in unstable, it generates the following warning
> and the resulting executables hang when run:
>
>  /usr/bin/ld: warning: libobjc.so.2, needed by /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6.1/../../../../lib/libgnustep-base.so, may conflict with libobjc.so.3
>
> If I build the package in testing, it links only against libobjc.so.2
> and the executables run successfully.  I shouldn't upload such a
> package to the archive though, right?
>
> I think that this will be fixed by rebuilding gnustep-base against
> libobjc.so.3.  Should I add a versioned dependency against the fixed
> version of libgnustep-base-dev to ensure that the autobuilders use the
> right version?

gnustep-base should definitely be rebuilt against the new ObjC
library. I think you could just wait until the rebuilt gnustep-base is
available everywhere.

I don't see any objc transition here:

http://release.debian.org/transitions/

You might want to ask the maintainers if they had any plans for a
transition and the release team for a binNMU and if they had noticed
the need for a transition.

--
bye,
pabs