Re: RFS: weboob

Thank you for your feedback.

On 05/04/2011 21:24, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
On 2011-04-05 12:04:00 Christophe Benz wrote:
boobank    - Bank accounts console tool
boobmsg    - Read and post messages on websites from console
havesex    - Sexual life swiss-knife
monboob    - Email proxy for websites containing messages
qboobmsg   - Read and post messages on websites - Qt GUI
qhavesex   - Sexual life swiss-knife - Qt GUI
wetboobs   - Weather forecast search tool

I can't help but think that these package names and descriptions might be
offensive to parts of the Debian community.  Would Debian really be serving
it's users by including these packages as is?

First of all let me clarify that these packages do not include sexual material at all.

The names and descriptions are simply humoristic.

The hot-babe package was rejected because of pictures containing nudity, whereas pornview was accepted. So I am pretty convinced that these packages are in the same case as pornview (?)

havesex and qhavesex could be renamed weboob-dating and weboob-qdating, since
they are for dating sites in general and don't seem to have use during sexual
acts, only for scheduling them.

These 2 program names are designed to optimize your results on dating websites, and minimize the time the user spend on them. In the project team we think that the name "havesex" is more catchy than "weboob-dating". Again, that's a joke and we are convinced that users can understand that.

Some of the others can simply have a "boob" ->  "weboob" substitution done to
them to make them less potentially offensive, IMO.

We appreciate, and the current users, these names. In a word is it a felony to write "boob" in a text ? If it is proven that it is, we will reconsider our arguments.

BTW, is it about the package names, or the name of the executables ?

I'm not sure this is the best forum to discuss this, and I could certainly be
wrong.  In an attempt to avoid a flamewar, I will endeavor to make this my
last post in this thread.  I believe I've said my piece.

I am open to discussion, and do not like flamewar. If this is not the right place to discuss, please tell me.

I would like to know the official Debian point of view in order to avoid making a decision only on the top of what some people may think...

Regards,
Christophe Benz