Re: RFS: Dropbox

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 4:56 AM, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Vincent Cheng wrote:
> I admit that I have no idea whether this will work, and if it is safe to
> package Dropbox like this. However, since it seems that Dropbox is unlikely
> to ever make it into the Debian archives if it still contained pre-compiled
> libraries, this was the only alternative I had. It looks like this won't
> work either, if Dropbox crashes and refuses to work properly.
>
> I'm now out of ideas; is there any other way of packaging Dropbox? Or should
> I simply give up on ever seeing Dropbox in the repositories again?

Fix the legal problems and have Dropbox provide the sources for the
binaries provided by Dropbox.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                     ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)

Thanks; I didn't think of that. However, I still haven't received any reply from upstream for my initial e-mail. If Dropbox replies to my e-mail, then I'll try asking for the sources of those various libraries, but it looks like upstream is unresponsive at the moment.

If Dropbox provides the sources, would it simply be ok to include the binaries along with all the source code, or would I have to set up a build system where all the 50+ libraries in Dropbox have to be built from source during the build process? The latter option would probably result in a long and complicated build system, but I guess that might indeed be the only way to package Dropbox.

Vincent