Re: update-rc.d and rare start/stop runlevels

Mats Erik Andersson <mats.andersson@gisladisker.se> writes:

> However, update-rc.d disagrees vividly with me (and possibly
> also insserv), since it prefers to call aloud

>    update-rc.d: warning: downtimed start runlevel arguments (2 3 4 5)
>         do not match LSB Default-Start values (S)
>    update-rc.d: warning: downtimed stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6)
>         do not match LSB Default-Stop values (0 6)

> Am I in error, or is there a proper way of silencing these
> warning messages?

That warning message means that the existing symlinks on your system do
not match what you asked the package to create.  They're intentional to
inform the local system administrator that the package wants a different
set of symlinks and they may want to update theirs.  (The symlinks are
considered local configuration, so the package doesn't update them
automatically.)

If you had never installed the package before, I'm fairly sure you
wouldn't get that message.