Re: RFS: openteacher

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 07:34:23PM +0530, Arvind S Raj wrote:
> > You should not maintain the source but just provide some patches for the
> > simply downloaded released tarball.  So you will not really need a VCS
> > for the source.
>
> There is an already existing debian packaging at
> https://code.launchpad.net/~flimm/openteacher/2.x-debian.

What about the release tarball.  Does it contain the debian/ dir?  If
yes I would recommend upstream to remove it from the tarball (even if it
was mentioned here previousely that this can be handled with source
format 3.0 - it's simply confusing).

> It isn't Debian
> compliant. Is it essential I use it?

It's not at all essential to use it.  If it contains some reasonable
stuff and you can save some time when starting with it - just take it
as template.  But as far as I have seen your packaging you are quite
there - so probably you can simply ignore the upstream stuff.

> Or can I create my own packaging and
> add missing files to make it Debian compliant? Is there a norm in Debian for
> such situations?

I don't think there is such a thing like a norm - there is just common
sense (would be cool to make common sense a norm ;-)).

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de