Re: RFS: snake4 (updated package)

On 2011-01-16 21:33, michael wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 1.0.12-12
> of my package "snake4".
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> snake4     - Snake game
>
> The upload would fix these bugs: 581387 (O: snake4 -- Snake game)

Hi

Thanks for your interest in Debian and for wanting to adopt an orphaned
package.

First things first; you should officially declare your intend to adopt
snake4. See [1] for how to do that.

You should probably also remove Ola Lundqvist from Uploaders (just
remove the entire field).  If Ola was an active uploader the package
would not be orphaned :)

> This is just for adopting the package.
> I know that the package is not lintian clean - I will do that next, but because I'm asolutely new
> in maintaining Debian I want to do one step after another. I hope there`s someone to help me
> anyway...

A strictly lintian clean package is not required for uploading, but it
is generally preferred.  Your source package triggers at least 4 lintian
tags that probably ought to be fixed before the first upload.

W: snake4 source: dh_desktop-is-deprecated line 73
W: snake4 source: debhelper-but-no-misc-depends snake4
E: snake4 source: build-depends-on-obsolete-package build-depends: x-dev
W: snake4 source: ancient-standards-version 3.7.2 (current is 3.9.1)

You can get more information about these tags by running lintian with
"-i" or running lintian-info -t <tag>.

I believe x-dev has been replaced by x11proto-core-dev (but I have not
doubled checked this).

It is also generally advised to read the New Maintainer's Guide[2].
Feel free to ask if you have questions or problems understanding it.

Once the package has gotten into better shape and you got a better
understanding of how to maintain the package, I will recommend we
involve the Games Team.

> - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/snake4/snake4_1.0.12-12.dsc

> Kind regards