Re: RFS: openteacher

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 03:57:27AM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <[🔎] 20110117074140.GA16330@an3as.eu>, Andreas Tille wrote:
> >[Y]ou should NOT maintain the debian/
> >directory in the upstream source tree (for several reasons discussed
> >several times before).
>
> That's not a problem.  Release tarballs (including snapshots) should just not
> contain the debian/ directory.

Thanks for the more precise statement.

> In fact, if upstream wants to take an active hand in preparing policy-
> compliant and release-ready packages, it may be best to use upstream resources
> to manage the package.  Contrary-wise, a half-baked debian/ directory, even if
> it only appears in the upstream VCS is not really useful to anyone.

While I agree that it is very welcome to involve upstream in building
policy-compliant packages I think in most (if not all) cases it is
preferable to maintain the packaging code in a Debian controlled Vcs
(=alioth).  The rationale is that Debian maintainers who in any case
need to upload the package have way easier access to this code.  Even if
upstream is a DD himself maintaining the code on alioth could be helpful
for NMUs or whatever change might be needed.  So at least I ask my
sponsees to use Alioth because I will not fiddle around in any random
non-Debian Vcs.

Kind regards

    Andreas.

--