Re: RFR: webalizer - web server log analysis program

In <[🔎] 4D307440.30003@debian.org>, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>Exactly since when, a private email is an official document for a change
>of maintainership in Debian? What are RFA, O, and ITA for then? I think
>you are mistaking Gregor, it's not enough.

It should be.  The bugs types are for when communication needs to occur on a
wider scale, particularly with the wnpp team.

We don't *have to* add something a b.d.o for every bug fixed by upstream, or
each lintian error / policy violation cleaned; we also don't *require* one for
changes in package ownership.

>Now, seeing the activity of the
>package (and the fact it hasn't been maintained correctly by the past
>maintainer which more or less was MIA), I think that writing a new bug
>report giving one week for the old maintainer would be enough, but I
>don't think that we can avoid an ITA at least, just based on the pure fact
>that the old maintainer "agreed privately"! We need to keep things with
>a public record, otherwise we are risking take-overs.

Well, if the old maintainer agrees, they should do the initial sponsorship.
If for some reason they can't; the private email does need to be disclosed to
(at least) the DD that does the actual sponsoring.  We do need to respect the
work of existing maintainers; part of that is not "stealing" a package from
them.  We do what is necessary to prevent that.