Re: Detecting build architecture

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 01:19:18PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> I try to build a package which needs information about the architecture
> at compile time.  Upstream said I need to set ARCH_64=1 if the
> architecture has 64 bit *pointers* (they said on architectures with 64
> bit integers and 32 bit pointers the programm needs to be compiled as 32
> bit).  Is there any safe way to obtain this information automatically or
> do I need to do some lookup in a table with `dpkg --print-architecture`
> as key (and if yes how would this table look like in the sense above)?

See dpkg-architecture(1), in particular:

    $ dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_ARCH_BITS

If I understood what you need, in your d/rules (or Makefile), you have to
do something like:

    DEB_BUILD_ARCH_BITS=$(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_ARCH_BITS)

    ifeq ($(DEB_BUILD_ARCH_BITS), 64)
        ARCH_64=1
    endif

Cheers