Re: RFS: wmaker (try 2)

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> wrote:
> * Scott Howard <showard@debian.org>, 2011-12-30, 11:36:
>> Also, I'm not too familiar with this package, but is there any reason why
>> you want to explicitly set DEB_BUILD and DEB_HOST types in debian/rules?
>

> Please see: /usr/share/doc/autotools-dev/README.Debian.gz
>
> (On the other hand, dh_auto_configure does pass correct --build (and --host,
> if necessary) to configure script out of the box.)

I had an aha moment with that (repeating what is probably obvious to
others but might be worthwhile if you haven't thought of it before):
the reason why we do that is so that we can set DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE,
and if it is different than the host, our rules will pass a --host
option to configure even if the user didn't set DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE. And
when configure gets a --host option, it goes into cross-compiling
mode.

Thanks, I checked and use dh_auto_configure in all but one of my
packages, so I'll fix that one with the next upload.

Is this something worth having a lintian check for? Explicitly calling
configure without properly setting those variables in rules?

~Scott