Re: RFS: solarpowerlog

On Thursday 22 December 2011 13:37:36 Tobias Frost wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "solarpowerlog".
>
>  * Package name    : solarpowerlog
>    Version         : 0.21-1
>    Upstream Author : Tobias Frost <tobi@coldtobi.de>
>  * URL             : http://sourceforge.net/projects/solarpowerlog/
>  * License         : GPL, LGPL
>    Section         : utils

Hi,

Few more comments, actually this is my first impression looking at your source
package.

Embedded (external) code copies is almost always a bad idea, security-wise,
and places burden on -security team, -release team, and what not, to identify
and update potentially erroneous code copy.

$ cat extlibs/README
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In this folder, external code is placed which is used by solarpowerlog but
which is not available through debian packages:

Please check the projects information for details about copyright, license and
authors -- the packages are provided "as is".

Folder      License     Origin
ctemplate   GPL         http://libctemplate.sourceforge.net
Used for templating the HTML output
Modifications:
    Added C++ Wrapper to the header file.
    Emits smaller pages due filtering double-blanks

Folder      License     Origin
dbixx       LGPL2.1
http://cppcms.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cppcms/dbixx/trunk/
CppCMS LibDBI C++ Wrapper -- C++ Web Development Framework
Modifications:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sure, there are quite a few embedded copies already [1], and it would be sad
to keep adding even more. IMO, packaging dbixx and ctemplate separately should
be the way to go, so they could be easily identified in case of trouble, fixed
just once, and potentially re-used as build-dependencies by other packages.

However, as far as I can see it, there is unfortunate upstream name clash. The
source package name of 'ctemplate' has already been taken by another unrelated
package, so maybe you can put 'html' in the source and binary package names
(perhaps 'chtmltemplate'?) if you decide to package and maintain this one:
http://libctemplate.sourceforge.net separately.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/EmbeddedCodeCopies

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>