Using /lib/init/vars.sh and its VERBOSE variable in init.d scripts

Hi,

I've seen a package which I want to sponsor using:

# Load the VERBOSE setting and other rcS variables
. /lib/init/vars.sh

[...]
case "$1" in
  start)
        [ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && log_daemon_msg "Starting $DESC" "$NAME"

but in Debian, /lib/init/vars.sh contains VERBOSE=no by default, so the
init.d script isn't producing outputs when I call it.

I have to admit I'm quite surprised, and don't know how to handle this.

Is this normal? Should I revert this, or supposedly, should I implement
this in my own scripts?

Cheers,

Thomas