Re: Computing d/control "Provides:" line

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Gergely Nagy <algernon@balabit.hu> wrote:
> Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>   I would like to know if there is an easy way to fill in the
>> "Provides: " line in a d/control file ?
>>
>>   Here is the situation, one of my package is activiz.net a C# binding
>> to a C++ library VTK. VTK 5.8 was uploaded to unstable today. I need
>> therefore to transition from activiz.net 5.6 to activiz.net 5.8 to
>> indicate the SOVERSION change.
>>
>>   Instead of manually editing the d/control file I was wondering if I
>> could detect this case and update the control file during package
>> generation time.
>
> What exactly would you want to put in the Provides field in this case?

Right now it would be something like:

Package: libactiviz.net-cil
Provides: libactiviz.net${`apt-cache policy libvtk5-dev | grep
Installed | cut -d: -f2 | cut -d- -f1`}-cil

Of course I am not looking for "Installed version" per say, but the
idea is there: I need to compute the soversion of a package from
another package version. This would allow me to request binNMU instead
of doing source upload modifying one number in d/control.

Thanks,
--
Mathieu