Re: How to pass CFLAGS to upstream's Makefile with debhlepler ?

On 2011-11-14 06:12, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> trying to pass dpkg-buildglags' settings to an upstream build system
> (http://git.debian.org/?p=debian-med/bwa.git), I found no other way than
> patching their makefile, basically replacing
>
> CFLAGS	 = -g -Wall -O2
>
>   with
>
> CFLAGS  ?= -g -Wall -O2
>
> I wonder if it was the right thing to do, and if it is a change that can be
> forwarded upstream.
>
> Also, I added $(CPPFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) in some calls to $(CC), but I think I
> remember reading that $(LDFLAGS) is not needed everywhere.  When in doubt, is
> it safe to add them ?
>
> Have a nice day,

Hey,

I believe that:

override_dh_auto_build:
	dh_auto_build -- CFLAGS="$(CFLAGS)"

 - OR -

override_dh_auto_build:
	$(MAKE) CFLAGS="$(CFLAGS)"

ought to do.  This only caveat is that it completely overrides the
CFLAGS variable in the makefile.  This is usually mostly a problem if
upstream (ab)uses LDFLAGS to add "-llib" flags, which does not really
belong there.

~Niels